Sunday, September 30, 2007

So It Begins...


I have finally fulfilled a lifelong dream.....Last Monday, the 24 September '07, I bought a bright orange '74 VW Kombi. I have been scouring the papers and the internet (and IGA noticeboards!) for the last 6 months and in that time, there has hardly been any kombis avaliable. I spotted this one on a car sales website and hubby and I drove up to Perth last Sunday to look at her. The owner had had her for 10 years but felt he was getting to long in the tooth to maintain her. He was asking $7000 but I'm English and can haggle!! So after much grovelling to the bank we drove back to Perth on Monday clutching a cheque in our sweaty palms.

Hubby drove her home as I was too much of a coward, the weather was really bad - heavy rain and wind and it was dark and rush hour She did the journey happily although hubby was freezing by the time we got back thanks to window vents and no heating!

Over this last week, Maisie (as named by my 11 year old son) has undergone serious scrutiny. We have come up with a whole host of things that need doing and over the coming weeks, months and maybe even years (though I hope not!). I will be posting on this blog to let the world see how she and us are getting on. I will also have a page of running costs - as much for me as for anyone else who is restoring one of these beautiful vans and wants an idea of what it involves.

Since yesterday, hubby has been removing bits from Maisie, there was a unit that housed the fridge and 2 ring cooker - now gone although the cooker will be listed on ebay. The fridge we were told doesn't work well so I guess it'll be dumped. The wardrobe that was behind the driver's seat is out but will be kept as a template. Today, after having to buy an imperial socket set, the bumpers and bull bar are off to be stripped and repainted white.

Above: Maisie undergoing opthalmic surgery!

No comments: